On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 03:00:01PM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

> > USM with radius 60, amount 0.30 and threshold 1.
> >
> without having the chance (or a photo handy) to check this with, are you
> certain that unsharp mask is better than using levels?

As I explained in my original post I am in the progress of converting a
Photoshop action that performs a workflow to process photos from
specific cameras.  This is just one of the steps it uses.  As the step
is quick in Photoshop and very slow in GIMP, I merely wondered if this
was to be expected or the symptom of a problem.  One of the other
replies suggested that the large radius could be expected to make the
USM filter slow as the algorithm had not been revised for some years and
was perhaps not working as well as it could.
--
Steve Crane
http://craniac.afraid.org