I was wondering under what circumstances images created with the Gimp need to be GPL'ed. Obviously, program output is not a derivative work. But images created with the Gimp might incorporate copyrighted elements such as brush shapes (there might be a single brush stroke from which the brush could be reconstructed), a texture, fill pattern, etc. Or what if I use a default set of parameters from Fractal Explorer to generate a fractal that is a prominent part of an image? (The latter is the question that interests me. I wish I knew what "source code" means in that context, too. The fractal params? The xcf file?)

Dr. Alexander R. Pruss
Department of Philosophy
Georgetown University
Washington, DC 20057-1133  U.S.A.
online papers and home page: www.georgetown.edu/faculty/ap85
"Philosophiam discimus non ut tantum sciamus, sed ut boni efficiamur."
       - Paul of Worczyn (1424)