On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 02:11:55PM -0700, George Farris wrote:
> How do I fade on edge of a photo to transparency?  Given a 4' by 5"
> picture I want to fade slowly fade (gradient) the first inch from
> transparency to the picture.

If your image has more than one layer then flatten it.  Make sure that
the background layer has an alpha channel, use the Add Alpha Channel
commnd if necessary.  Use the rectangular selection tool to select the
inch or so you want to fade.  Add a white (full opacity) lare mask to
the background layer.  Set foreground colour to white and background
colour to black.  Use the gradient tool with a FG to BG gradient and
draw a line from the edge of the selection to the edge of the image.
THis will draw a gradient on the mask, causing the image to be faded to
transparent at the edge, as you require.
--
Steve Crane
http://craniac.afraid.org