On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 02:07:43PM -0700, Barton Bosch wrote:
> I have some 1200 dpi scans that need to be scaled down, sharpened
> with unsharp mask and then saved as jpgs at ~50% quality setting.
i am curious for the reason for saving at the 50% quality setting.
fiddling with the quality setting is good to do if you are trying to
improve the load speed of a web page and perhaps to save disc space if
this is a problem.

i guess i would like to know what the purpose is for the image.

> Should the operations be performed in the order above or would it be
> better to scale->save as 50% qual jpg->unsharp mask->save as 100%
> qual jpg?

saving should be only one step and the last step.  the unsharp mask
should be the second to the last step.  if sharpening is necessary, it
should be done on each size that you save.  so in short:

1) scale
2) sharpen
3) save