On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 09:11:25PM -0700, Barton Bosch wrote:

> Yup, just trying to make the document a little lighter weight.  The
> basic purpse of the doc is as a series of reference charts and
> tables that will be hyperlinked -- eliminating the need to
> repeatedly refer to the paper book that the scans were taken from.
>
> Nothing especially exciting, but I am learning about different
> practices for high quality image manipulation in The GIMP.

you might consider using indexed png's for this.  jpgs are definately
best for photographs but indexed pngs are very light weight and do not
look that bad.  to index an image Image -->Mode -->Indexed.  this
reduces the colors from billions of colors to 256 colors and is a very
good way to handle many simpler images.

carol