On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 10:10:56AM -0500, David McClamrock wrote:
> In GIMP 1.2 (or even 1.0, with which I started), it was easy to
> produce a beveled text effect: just insert text, leave it
> selected, and apply a starburst (spherical),
> foreground-to-background gradient. Only the text itself was
> selected, not the box around it.
> In GIMP 2.0 (on Mandrakelinux 10.0, from RPM package
> gimp2_0-2.0.0-2mdk), I'm not finding it obvious how to do the
> same thing. The selection includes not only the text itself but
> the surrounding box, and the gradient likewise covers the entire
> box, which I don't want. Also, the yellow line around the box
> doesn't readily vanish when I want it to; in GIMP 1.2, selected
> text could be deselected like any other selection.
> Are there some settings I can change to make GIMP 2.0 (otherwise
> a definite improvement over 1.2) work more like GIMP 1.2 in
> these respects? Sorry if this question has been asked before,
> and thanks in advance for any answers!
via the text tool options in gimp create your text as a path and then
using the path dialog, Path to Selection and your text is selected.

also, you can use the fuzzy select to select the alpha of the layer and
Select -->Invert this.

and as usual, you can use the text as a layer mask and control your
gradient this way.