In GIMP 1.2 (or even 1.0, with which I started), it was easy to
produce a beveled text effect: just insert text, leave it
selected, and apply a starburst (spherical),
foreground-to-background gradient. Only the text itself was
selected, not the box around it.

In GIMP 2.0 (on Mandrakelinux 10.0, from RPM package
gimp2_0-2.0.0-2mdk), I'm not finding it obvious how to do the
same thing. The selection includes not only the text itself but
the surrounding box, and the gradient likewise covers the entire
box, which I don't want. Also, the yellow line around the box
doesn't readily vanish when I want it to; in GIMP 1.2, selected
text could be deselected like any other selection.

Are there some settings I can change to make GIMP 2.0 (otherwise
a definite improvement over 1.2) work more like GIMP 1.2 in
these respects? Sorry if this question has been asked before,
and thanks in advance for any answers!

David McClamrock