* Carol Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 09:15:33PM -0500, Richard wrote:
>> Okay, Thanks to all.
>> Filters->Colors->Decompose
>> Found LAB, and did the delete A&B to get the Light Channel,
>> Q. Since the original image was a Color / Infrared shot (digital)
>> would the best was to get all the detail of Gray/IR is using Decompose?
>> After applying auto levels, you have gray scale.
> that should not have happened.  auto levels on a color image does not
> yeild a grayscale unless you started with one.  i am fairly sure about
> this.

IR images may seem colored, but it's generally just colorcast, so
autoleveling will remove that cast and it becomes gray.

>> My understanding is that going to Gray scale by itself, you lose 16bit to
>> 8bit.
>> So, Decompose would be better?

GIMP-2 doesn't support 16bit in any other way but reading 16bit depth
images (converted to 8bit right at the spot).

> decompose gives a grayscale, it just gives a smarter one than desaturate
> or changing the mode alone.

Filters->Colors->Channel Mixer is generally best way to convert
Color->Monochrome. AFAIR there's even some channel percentages floating
on the net that're supposed to give you look of some certain brand of

   Psi -- <http://www.iki.fi/pasi.savolainen>