hi:

thank your for your answer, Joao.

i have advanced a little. i have done this:

i have created a new layer, so when i move the selection, my picture
isn't affected.

i have created the circumference, with shift + cirled selection button.
i go to dialogs > paths > selection to path (button).

then i can move the circumference, but when i finish moving it, the
circumference disappears. before moving, i can stroke it. after moving,
i can't.

i am really newbie in gimp. surely i am doing something wrong. do you
have any idea?

thank you.

when i said "versatile shapes" i meant say a manageable shape.