"Michael Schumacher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The GIMP seems to be one of the only apps that can handle large images,
> though. I remember someone who wanted to precess schematics of oil drill
> holes, and no other app seemed to handle them...

One of the things that should be kept in mind when working with very
large images is that one should disable "layer and channel previews"
in the preferences. Updating the previews can cause a major slowdown
if the image doesn't fit into memory (or rather into the configured

I guess we could add some code that automatically disables previews
for image (w/o undo steps) that don't fit int the tile-cache.