I tried compiling the most recent Gimp (2.2.2) from source but encountered too
many mysterious problems. I updated glib and Gtk+ and pango and so on from
the Slackware current distro but it still wouldn't fly.

So next I tried to install Gimp 2.2.0 from Slackware current. This is not the
latest, but more recent than what comes with Slack 10 (2.0.2).

When I attempt to execute Gimp I get the error message:
error while loading shared libraries: libXfixes.so.3: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
I cannot find a file like this in the package inventory for Slack current.

So, any Gimp users out there that would like to give me a hint? I can always
use Knoppix for my Gimp jobs but Slack is a lot faster :<(
--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters