> i think we are having some problems because i dont really understand how
> gentoo works.

hehe.
Basically, it uses a package tree system (similar to debian I believe).
When you tell it to install a package, it downloads the source and
specified patches from the gentoo archives and compiles the program.
When the maintainers for the specified package in the tree (for instance
gimp), deem a package to be properly stable on gentoo, they set it
stable.
Packages that are not quite deemed stable are masked, but you can easily
tell the system to try to install it anyway.  This is what I did to go
from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6.  A package that is in the tree, but not deemed
stable enough to even try to install (probably very new or has not been
tested yet or depends on something funny) will be hard masked (set to
masked in a file).  To install these you need to unmask the package in
the mask file and then tell it to install.
Gimp 2.2.0 is currently hard masked.

As I dug around (and tried compiling gimp2 from the stock source), I
discovered that gimp 2.2.x require freetype 2.1.7 or greater.
The current stable version in gentoo is 2.1.5-r1.
2.1.7 is not in portage.
2.1.9 is masked in portage because of problems with it and Mozilla and
Firefox being compiled with older versions.
To install 2.1.9, you must first uninstall Mozilla and Firefox.
For me, however, they would not recompile afterwards (I'll have to try
again later and see if it was just a fluke).

So the current state of gimp 2.2.x on gentoo seems to depend on the
freetype/Mozilla issue.

If you can get freetype to upgrade and Mozilla/Firefox to recompile
afterwards (don't want to lose those obviously), you could then try to
install gimp 2.2.x and see what happens.

> sorry for the lack of understanding of your distribution on my part and
> if all this work does not lead to getting your tablet working.  on the
> other hand, many people do have their tablets working with that gimp you
> have and with the current stable gimp, so perhaps the best approach for
> you right now is to provide more information.

Yeah.  And I believe several people in gentoo (there are posts about the
graphires in the gentoo forums) are using them successfully.
So the problem seems to be something with gimp on my silly computer.  :)

> carol

Mark II