On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 12:18:27PM -0500, Matthew H. Plough wrote:
> Michael Schumacher wrote:
> >>I don't have the message, so am unable to view the source or send it to
> >>you, but it seems there is indeed one lurking on a Windows machine
> >>somewhere that is on this list.  I wonder sometimes if it would be wise
> >>to block all Windows generated email to a list anymore.  Lucky for
> >>those of us that use Linux.
> >>

> ><snip>
> >Sounds like a good thing to do in general.
> >
> <sarcasm>Yes, this would be a great idea.  Fortunately, since none of us
> Windows lusers have anything to contribute to holy Linux OSS
> discussions, this won't affect the list in any way.</sarcasm>
> Come on guys, do you really think so?  I run a fairly secure Windows
> 2000 installation, and I shouldn't have to ssh to a solaris box and run
> pine on it just to send emails to the list.  I checked the headers on
> that virus-laden message that was ostensibly from me, and it originated
> from a Polish mail server.  Heaven only knows where in the world it came
> from before that, but it didn't come from my machine, and I don't have a
> virus.
> If you're on Windows and using Thunderbird (like me), chances are you
> won't get a virus through email.  If you're on Linux, you won't get a
> Windows virus anyway (well, it is possible to run some Windows viruses
> on Wine, but I have no idea why you'd want to do that).
> So why do you Linux guys care so much if viruses hit the list?  Just
> delete them as you would any other spam that hits your inbox.
> I'm pretty irked that you guys embraced the idea of blocking all
> messages originating from Windows machines.  I hope you show a little
> bit more common sense in your next message.
since Michael is running windows and is also responsible for the
instructions on how to build gimp on windows, well, it should be easy to
see the sarcasm in his suggestions.

this list will probably continue the way it is working and has worked
and everyone needs to just make certain their own computers are handling
things.  no big deal and no need for further accusations.

also, perhaps while everyone is busy securing their home computers from
virus they will be attacking their cars which according to the current
hacker press are vulnerable to the same things that their operating
system are.

just because gimp runs on all operating systems doesnt mean that the
developers or other users care to change things to help all of the
operating systems protect themselves from whatever problems the os
allows.  this includes linux.  computers are not dangerous, people are.