Hi,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (2005-02-14 at 1110.37 -0500):
> Someone brought up the problem of a virus being passed around from the
> list a few days ago.  I remember everyone kind of shot him down though.
> Well, I have been getting them as well and another just today.

Yes, it goes thru the list, but antivirus app could also include more
headers in the reports like:

Which is a unique ID, in this case it seems added by mail list server,
instead of by origin machine or first mail server in the path, which
is a clue. Or:

        by lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU (Postfix) with SMTP id 28EDC11418
        for <gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu>;
        Mon, 14 Feb 2005 04:40:37 -0800 (PST)

Which is one of the jumps that mail did, at least the first that got
"recorded". So the machine that had 217.96.203.113 (discarding IP
address spoofing) the 14 Feb 2005 04:40:37 -0800 was sending it (I
think we can trust the berkeley server :] ), or bouncing it without
adding the proper Received header. Maybe (probably?) the owner of that
machine never heard of GIMP or even mailing lists.

OK, it can be scary to add that info, lots of lines (I just pasted one
of Received, there were more)... but otherwise, you do not know who
really is sending the mail at all and thus all the off topic mails we
are sending. With this you can follow at least some part of the path,
maybe all. And that is the problem I tried to point to that user by
private mail (he later replied by list) cos he was pointing the finger
in wrong direction.

[...]
> I don't have the message, so am unable to view the source or send it to
> you, but it seems there is indeed one lurking on a Windows machine
> somewhere that is on this list.  I wonder sometimes if it would be wise
> to block all Windows generated email to a list anymore.  Lucky for
> those of us that use Linux.

How do you know it is from OS A or B? ;] With the headers you can
guess things, but never be sure if you do not pull from the thread and
investigate.

Probably wisest would be filtering attachments completly, which is a
bit nasty in gimp lists, it is nice to be able to send small files
when looking for help. The filter could also be based in spam / virus
scan results (probably anti spam is already there, I think I never got
one via these lists).

So can we drop the thing now? If something else, you should contact
the mail admins. The rest of people should have filters, antivirus,
patched systems and so on if they want to keep on Internet without
more problems than ISP cutting lines and saying "it was not us, please
check your network configuration". ;]

GSR