Is there a set of instructions for automating the task of scaling images?

I have a large number of images that I want to scale to three different sizes.
I successfully do this manually, and it doesn't take too long, but I'd like
to find (or create -- but I can't imagine someone hasn't already done this) a
script to run that will do this for me.

I would point the Gimp to a directory containing links to images, and have the
script cycle through all the images, creating three copies of each image,
each scaled to a different size and leaving them in that directory. To get
even fancier, I'd save each size in a sub-directory.

Thanks for helping a Gimp newbie.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens