I'd like to return to my printing problem for a last time - if I'm breaking any list rules or going on everybody's nerves, just tell me.

I have now compiled gimp 2.2.6 without print option and then gutenprint beta 3 with gimp2, cups, foomatic and ghostscript. Before the installation of gutenprint the new gimp had no print option, after that it now has. But still the printing process does not get finished.

I do have a workaround now, though: if I let gimp and gutenprint print the content to a ps file and then use the printing command as given in gutenprint on the command line with the file name as an option, printing works perfectly - so it seems that gimp just doesn't pass the calculated content to print to the printing system.

But I have no idea why it doesn't do that.