On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 09:38 -0700, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 09:28:48AM +0000, Kent Tong wrote:
> > Thanks for all who have replied. Yes, the Chinese problem is bogus. It works
> > as long as the LANG env variable is set.
> >
> it is interesting that the one time i saw anyone use this photoshop
> layers effect stuff, i was able to get TheGIMP to produce the same image
> in less than twenty minutes.  that was using a little knowledge of
> computer graphics (most of which i learned by working with TheGIMP).

The key difference is that effects or effect layers give the power to
easily change things after they have been done. Nothing is set in stone.
The changes are non-destructive giving the freedom to change things in

This is especially useful when presenting things to clients, which by
nature want to change things no matter what you present them :). Larry
was also able to draw the Linux penguin without features like layers,
yet I'm sure he would have been happy beaing able to make use of them.

It's not that things are not achievable. Non-destructive workflows are
in my view a very useful functionality worth investigating.

Jakub Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Novell, Inc.