HSV
In case anyone didn't get this. Here is how I changed the value of a color in script-fu. You could do something similar for Saturation and I guess hue, not sure though it would create the desired effect if you played with the hue.

;;sphere-color is a color
;;light-i  will be the new color
;;light-intensity is the new value (HSV)

   (set! light-i (list (* (car sphere-color) light-intensity) ;;Red
                        (* (cadr sphere-color) light-intensity) ;;Green
                        (* (caddr sphere-color) light-intensity) )) ;;Blue
   (gimp-context-set-background light-i)