On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 08:44:37PM -0700, Don Rozenberg wrote:
> I get a partial image the same size as the original one I tried to
> resize but it only containing a corner of the enlarged image.  I think
> that this is a bug.
> I tried this with gimp 2.7 on Windows XP and it seemed to work as I
> expected; i. e., the pasted image was enlarged when I clicked the
> scale button.  This differing behavior suggests that this is indeed a
> bug in the Linux version.
try right clicking on the image with the layer that you want to scale
highlighted in the layers dialog.  then follow the menu:
Layer -->Scale Layer and feed it a number.

i have only used gimp on linux; and only on that highly suspicious open
to judgement and probably insecure gnu/linux at that.  also, i have been
using gimp for (possibly) way too long now and have yet to try dragging
a corner.  if you think about it, a proper scaling should use some
numbers to be certain that you get a correct resizing.

> Also, if I open, say, three images and copy-and-paste them onto a
> fresh letter-size image, I was expecting to see 4 layers, a background
> layer and three floating selection layers as I get when doing this in
> Photoshop Elements.  What I see instead is a background layer
> containing the first two images I copy-and-paste'ed plus one floating
> selection layer.  Is this the correct behavior?  I am surprised by the
> 'flattening' of the background and the earlier images. It happens with
> both the Linux version and the XP version.
yes, it is not the best behavior, it is the correct (according to how
the software has been written so far) behavior -- they are claiming
(still) to be uncertain about how to handle this situation.

the situation is this: the layer floats until you anchor it or make a
new layer of it.  anchoring it will fix it to the highlighted layer.  if
you only have one layer, that will be the hightlighted layer.  if you
make a new layer (Layer -->New Layer) it will appear at the beginning of
the stack.  if you leave it floating and paste a new layer into the
image, it (by default) will anchor it.

TheGIMP uses layers much more naturally than Photoshop.  the biggest
difference between the two different softwares is that TheGIMP uses
layers and Photoshop uses selections.  since photoshop5 and gimp-1.0
they have both started to catch up to each other as far as layers vs
selections go.

here is a secret of the way computers deal with pixels:  selections are
a special case of layers.  that being said, Photoshop hides this from
the user making some things easier.  TheGIMP does not hide this so much
and this gives the user more control, particularly at the point where
things actually happen.

btw, for a photoshop user you must have missed something in how to ask
questions rudely.  for this, i thank you.

welcome to gimp, may the transition be as easy for you as it has been
for me to keep using it.