On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 04:12:15PM -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:
> I was looking at the patterns that come with the GIMP.
>
> They might have been nice for  320x240 web images that everyone edited
> a few years ago.
>
> But in a world of 7 MP cameras, all patterns that come with the GIMP
> are nearly useless.
>
> there are a few pending features for patterns on the program itself -
> like categorization, possibly scaling, and so on.

it would be interesting to find out what resolutions and what catagories
of patterns the users of gimp would find useful.

> That aside, these patterns are in urgent need for an update. Even if
> not on the patterns that come along with the GIMP itself, nice
> pattern collections would be nice - perhaps some that could be
> packaged in  a "gimp-data-extras" module, or something like that.

maybe.  it is almost like an antique museum though and there are so many
tutorials that involve those patterns.  another nice thing about them is
that they are so small and they keep the initial download of gimp
smaller.

> Even updates of the existing patterns so that they do no look a silly
> square repetition  when covering a surface more than 400px wide would
> be a nice thing.

probably the ones that did not work did not get included in tutorials.

> And everybody - let's start building some nice patterns - one way or
> the other we have to collect then all an make then available for all
> the GIMP users.

it would be good to know useful catagories and resolutions....

carol