Grumble..

I made the script, but just as I was testing it, I realized the
rectangular selection cannot be larger than the image size to begin
with. SO the interface I had imagined is not pratical.

The thing I had thought is a small script that would just double a
image's canvas size, without hasle - sou  you can bind a shortcut to
it, tehn make the selection, and press a secont short-cut key to this
script.

But I no longer have time now to deal with it - I will do later.

        Regards,

        JS
        -><-