Just so you know, you're not the only one wondering about this.  I just stumbled accross this website while searching for an answer to the very same problem.  I'm trying to "cut out" a small circular image from a larger photo to use as an accent image on a website.  I actually need to do this many, many times, so I'm willing to learn how to do it the proper way.  Heh. The help file included with GIMP isn't very...helpful. I'm computer-savvy, but totally unfamiliar with this particular software.

Sent from the Gimp User forum at Nabble.com.