My First GIF: http://www.geocities.com/klairbab/alpha.gif

(It's part of http://www.geocities.com/klairbab/verbcomb.html but I
can't pass you the #doorbell portion of the url, because Yahoo! is
mangling the anchor)

Hey, Gimp really is great!

Thanks.

Joe

PS

> > > Do I move the whole layer?
> >
> > It looks like I can "select" the layer using the Layer dialog and move
> > the entire layer to position the text. I'll try that tomorrow. That
> > would be easier than cutting and pasting regions on the drawing
> > surface, like you do with mspaint, but I got pretty good at it. What
> > bothered me was moving the edges of the layer off screen. I don't like
> > surprises.
> >
> that quality can become useful.  there is a difference between canvas
> size and image size.  if at any moment you are extremely uncomfortable
> with some of the image stuff not being in view in the image area, simply
> Image/Canvas to image size (or something like that in the menu).

Moving the Text boxes around was a breeze. I just made sure the
"Φοντο" layer was current (must be "Background" in English). Then I
chose the Move tool and simply moved the cursor, slowly, over the
text. A little hand appeared, which I clicked, and got the Move icon
again. The scope was clear, and I could position the text inside the
ellipses, no problem. I didn't even need to consider the layers.

> the text tool has several options, one of them is a reset.  please use
> the reset button and then be careful of which font you choose.  the free
> software tends to show you all of your computer fonts.  not all of those
> fonts were made for decorative image making.

Ok, I'll remember that, the reset button...

The font I'm using is the TTF Times New Roman I took off a Windows
system. I chose 14 pt. but the .xcf came out a little small. Looks
more like 8 pt. The gif actually compares well with the browser, just
a little smaller than expected. The rasterization process must be the
same (of course).

> > Hey! I couldn't find any grid.
> >
> View/Grid

Sorry about that. I found the Grid, no problem. I have a Greek desktop
and I overlooked it.

> > I noticed one of the layers had a grid-like background, don't know how
> > it got there, and I couldn't make it do anything with it, so I gave
> > up.
> >
> it is also possible to paint a grid onto a layer.
> Filters/Render/Patterns/Grid, perhaps you did this.

What is that checkerboard pattern?

> > How would I go about creating an mspaint user interface for the gimp?
> >
> i would start by seeing if you can get it to compile on windows first.
> then ask again for instructions here.

No need to do that... Gimp just as easy as mspaint after all. If
mspaint is a "paint program", then gimp is too, only better.

> > Can I do it with your scheme interpreter?
> >
> you would have to answer this yourself.

No, I don't think so... If your Scheme is anything like AutoLisp it
can only be used in the application domain, to automate the drawing
process, like a macro language. I don't expect I can put new buttons
in the tool box. Hm, maybe I can..

I was thinking I'd probably need a programming language, like C, and
your plug-in interface, to extend gimp, but I still don't know what
you consider a plug-in, hm, transformers for other file formats?

> i wonder even if mspaint is a
> scheme thing using libgimp.  there is no way of knowing what the heck ms
> did to make software!

Wouldn't that be funny, if MS ripped you off. You wouldn't be the first victim.

> > Curious thing, AutoCad also has a Lisp interface, which none of my
> > architect friends can use.
> >
> > Who inspired who?
> >
> meanwhile, ICQ claims all .scm (i read this somewhere on the internet)

Sorry, what is ICQ and .scm?

> to me, personally, it speaks well of your friends to not be able to use
> lisp.

It also makes me more useful. :)

Thanks Carol,

Great email.