On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 05:27:23PM -0500, John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Friday 10 February 2006 04:46 pm, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> > John R. Culleton wrote:
> > > Not at all. I was noting that on two different flavors of linux
> > > it is necessary to download and install material beyond that
> > > contained in the Gimp download in order to get it to compile. And
> > > that wasn't true in prior versions.
> >
> > Um... you're kidding, right?
> >
> > GTK+
> > Glib
> > libpng
> > libjpeg
> > gcc
> > make
> >
> > are also required and not included.
>
> All these and Perl are either included in a standard "full"
> installation of e.g., Slackware or Debian Sarge, As I stated earler
> previous editions of Gimp have compiled without difficulty. I
> have Slackware Current up to date as of yesterday. I have Debian Sarge up to
> date as of yesterday. I can compile older versions of Gimp.
>
> My concern is not so much with 2.3.x but with 2.4. If that stable
> version requires software bits and pieces not found on most
> Linux systems and not downloadable from ww.gimp.org then there
> is trouble ahead.

we were discussing this on the irc.

XML::Parser is needed by intltool and has been for some time now.

my thoughts when you mentioned needing this (additional) software from
two different distributions was in trying to figure out how this could
have happened.

i do not install a lot of the stuff that is needed for one of these all
knowing and all responsive desktops.  this means i am building things on
what many of the users would consider a minimal set up.

i wonder if this fact about the way i use my computer combined with the
way distributions are separating their packages in a way that might not
be apparent from the source web sites -- perhaps there is a dependency
check that is not registering somewhere.

debian purposely breaks libtool the other way.  it insists on seeing
software that has been purposely and perfectly placed so it won't build
and refusing to build at that point instead of going where it knows (or
can easily determine) where to go.  they like it that way.  they closed
my bug report. i can talk you through how to build things on sarge so
that you can see what i am talking about.

everyone i spoke to about my problem was very nice, btw.

carol