How does one create or save a two-page tiff with the GIMP?

I'm running Gimpshop 2.2.10 on OS X 10.4.5 and am able to open a two- page tiff file created by a scanning application. Each page of the tiff loads into a separate layer and I'm able to save the loaded tiff as an .xcf file. However, if I try to re-save the image as tiff, gimpshop "flattens" the layers into a single layer.

I'd like to edit this tiff file and save as a two-page tiff. Can this be done with the GIMP? Is there an option I'm overlooking or a plug-in I'm missing?

Pointers to the appropriate sections in the docs or pointers to working examples are much appreciated.

- Robert
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent