Brendan wrote:
On Thursday 02 March 2006 08:19, Geoffrey wrote:
Because Gimshop has generated more excitement than the Gimp ever has and
certain people might be a little ruffled?
Who are you kidding?  Why don't you simply take your trolling elsewhere.
  I've been using gimp for years now, never had an interest in using it
in a windows environment, never will.  I'm not interested in seeing GIMP
emulate Photoshop.

You don't like what I say, so it's trolling?

From wikipedia: In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who posts rude or offensive messages on the Internet, such as on online discussion forums, to disrupt discussion or to upset its participants.

I've heard very little about GIMPSHOP, yet you claim it's 'generated more excitement then the Gimp ever has.'

Are you that insecure?

Now that is funny.

I have used Gimp for years, mostly in Linux, but also in Windows. I even owned a school that taught Gimp in a class. So, you could say that I am a bit of a cheerleader. I don't give a rat's that you don't like my opinion, because it's something I hear often...comparisons and wishes about it and PS.

How about backing up your statement with some facts?  Google:

gimp: 30,600,000 hits
gimpshop: 447,000 hits

Wow, that's a lot of excitement alright.

Then let them stay with Photoshop if their issue is such.  They want
their cake and eat it too.  They want GIMP price, but they don't want to
learn a better interface.

You say better...
I think we have reached the limit of your ability to converse thoughtfully in this conversation.

My ability extends well beyond your understanding.

fortunately or unfortunately. It's a shame that Gimpshop as a project
isn't really much in the way of structure, but why not rip it off and
inspire them to get better? Make fun of them until they change? Write a
guide for people to make Gimpshop "proper" for inclusion, and heck, even
I might give it a shot.
You can not fix the way it was created.  That is the issue at hand.  As
other's have noted, the creator of GIMPSHOP has created confusion by not
following the accepted protocol for forking an application.  He/she
should have made reasonable attempts to work with the existing
developers. As it is, it's a poor and confusing hack.

Oh well, it's done, so let's take what it generated and try to bring something positive out of it. Trying to surf the wave of interest would be NICE.

Just because something has 'happened' doesn't mean you accept it.

I personally don't want to start seeing confusing posts regarding interfaces because someone is posting about gimpshop on a gimp list. They are not the same, and the creation of gimpshop was not done in a respectable way with regard to the original work. It was not done in a way that respects the years of work that the developers have put into the GIMP.

I'd suggest that someone create a GIMPSHOP list and post questions regarding that charade there.

Until later, Geoffrey

War never solved anything, well, except slavery, fascism and communism