On Saturday 11 March 2006 17:00, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> wayne wrote:
> > http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/03/07/1813207
> >
> > Saw the above article on Newsforge.
> Well, it shows that the author doesn't read the OpenUsability
> forum. Of course, this makes it a suitable article for
> NewsForged, but without proof for the authors claims it is
> worthless.
> I'd highly recommend and appreciate it if anyone who wants to
> participate in the discussion that will take place in this
> thread reads the relevant sources (OpenUsability forum, GIMP
> mailing list archives, news group and Bugzilla for threads
> concerning GIMPShop) himself and in whole. Thank you.
> Michael

There has been a history of Gimp leadership downplaying the needs
of the DTP world. In particular the CMYK color model has been
avoided. Now there is (slow) movement in that direction, but CMS
profiles are needed as well.

Meanwhile other products are coming to the fore that have CMYK
and CMS capabalities from the start. Among products usable today
there is Inkscape the drawing program and Scribus, which is more
of a Quark replacement.

 But a more direct alternative in terms of replacing Gimp
functionality is Krita, part of the Koffice site but not normally
distributed with it. Krita is buggier than a summer picnic and
crashes are frequent. But development is proceeding rapidly and
the feature set is already impressive. It calls itself a
"painting and image editing" program, which is Gimp territory to
be sure. And one of the principal developers asked me what plug
ins I especially liked in Gimp, to give him some rainy day
projects. And it already has CMYK and CMS profiles.

By no means am I ready to jump ship. But I keep my eyes on these
other alternatives. Gimp either meets the DTP challenge or will
have to face a Photoshop port or clone someday. And keep an eye
on Krita.

In the meantime Inkscape and Scribus have a symbiotic
relationship. Both are pretty stable. Both can handle the CMYK
color model. The combined functionality is pretty good. Not
Gimp-level to be sure, but improving.

-- John Culleton Books with answers to marketing and publishing
questions: http://wexfordpress.com/tex/shortlist.pdf

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: