On Wednesday 05 April 2006 01:03, Mark Sargent wrote:
> am a rather experienced Linux user for the past 2yrs or so, but, not
> much with Gimp. I used to use Fireworks/Photoshop on Windows some time
> back, and am wondering where within Gimp I can just save as for web, and
> it allows me to resize etc. I can't seem to find that option anywhere in
> the menus. All I see is, save, save as, save a copy, save as template. I
> have a 14.5mb file that I need to get to under 500kb or less. Could
> someone point this non-gui fool in the right direction? Cheers.

Well, if you're a non-gui fool, I'd suggest a non-gui tool.  I'd use
imagemagick, something like:

        convert infile.bmp -resize 500x500 -quality 75 outfile.jpg

ImageMagick uses the file extension on the output to decide what type of image
compression to use, so it will save as a JPEG.  The -resize option by default
will not stretch your image so the above will resize your image to be at most
500 pixels on each side.  Finally the -quality is used by the JPEG compressor
and takes a number between 0 and 100.  Smaller numbers give you worse images,
but 75 is a good tradeoff which gives you good image quality and good

You can easily play with the numbers to get larger or smaller image sizes.

If you do want to use the GIMP (certainly not a bad choice), you should use
Image->Scale Image to shrink the resolution down, then Save As and enter a
file name with a .jpg extension.  The GIMP will then prompt you for a quality
level and if you click the "Show Preview in image window" you can see the
effects of dragging it back and forth, and you can also see the file size
right undernath the quality slider.

Have fun,