Quoting Mauro Condarelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I would be much happier if I could have some kind of feedback.
E.g.: a box showing the position of the layer into the canvas.

Any further idea??

The following Script-fu will allow you to enter numerical offsets into a dialog box. Script-fu is unable to provide a visual preview of the result but perhaps this will suit your needs (you can UNDO the operation if the result is unsatisfactory).

Save the text below as a file named "layer-offset.scm" in your scripts directory. The command will appear as "Script-Fu->Transform->Layer Offset".
------------
(define (script-fu-layer-offset image layer offset-x offset-y resize?)
  (gimp-image-undo-group-start image)
  (gimp-layer-set-offsets layer offset-x offset-y)
  (if (= resize? TRUE)
    (gimp-image-resize-to-layers image)
    )
  (gimp-displays-flush)
  (gimp-image-undo-group-end image)
  )

(script-fu-register "script-fu-layer-offset"
 "<Image>/Script-Fu/Transform/Layer offset"
 "Offset the layer relative to the image"
 "Saul Goode"
 "Saul Goode"
 "6/22/2006"
 ""
 SF-IMAGE    "Image"    0
 SF-DRAWABLE "Drawable" 0
 SF-ADJUSTMENT "Offset X" '( 1553 0 5000 1 10 0 1 )
 SF-ADJUSTMENT "Offset Y" '( 1038 0 5000 1 10 0 1 )
 SF-TOGGLE "Resize image?" TRUE
 )