Quoting j_mach_wust j_mach_wust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

saulgoode wrote:
The PNG file format specification permits a similar
indexed encoding scheme as the GIF format;

Unlike an indexed GIF, an indexed PNG allows
semi-transparency. I thought I was able to produce
such semi-transparent indexed PNG with GIMP. I don't
know how I did it.

It appears that former versions of GIMP were not able
to produce semi-transparent indexed files at all (to
be saved as PNG). My question is: Is it now possible
to have semi-transparent indexed files (I thought it
were as I can remember I did it)? If it is possible,
then how to do it?

I misunderstood what you were asking before, sorry.

My understanding of the PNG indexed format is each color of the palette can have a different transparency level assigned to it. If this is true, there should be a way to duplicate the colors of your palette with varying levels of opacity. For a B&W palette, you could have 128 levels of opacity for each, for a 4-color palette, 64 levels, etc.

I am unaware of the GIMP possessing such a capability but that is not to say it doesn't exist. :)