This was sent last from my yahoo! account as hotmail gobbled it down and wouldn't let it send.  Maybe this time it will actually get where it's supposed to go.

I would like to know how to actually get and use colour with the GIMP when photo-editing or filling spaces in drawings, etc.  Plain, simple solid colour, no textures, nothing fancy, would be a lovely start.  Right now all I seem to be able to get are usually black, sometimes white, and (rarely) shades of grey, all regulated by some little impus-en-machina.  I have tried clicking on things like "red", changing the colours in the little box (the one with the two little colour boxes in it for foreground and background) and appying bucket fill, but all I ever get is charcoal grey.  Even when I try to photo edit all I get is this range.  I was trying to blend away some wire fencing in a photograph pixel by pixel and would have loved to be able to use the colours of the object(s) behind the fence to make it seamless and beautiful, but all I could seem to get were individual pixels from a "black gradient", which I'm sure has a lot of uses but is NOT what I'm looking for right now.  I'm assuming it must have something to do with layering and building colours or something like that, but I really don't know and have no idea of how to make any of that work.

If you could tell me how to work with this OR where to find the instructions (in very little words and very big letters, please, as I'm extremely new at all of this kind of stuff, and I'm learning by the "seat-of-the-pants" method), I would really appreciate it.  Maybe some kind of "search" function could be put into the "help" zone, making it easier for people like me to find things.  I really need help, and would be very grateful.  Heck, I'd even send you a cake if I knew where to mail it (it's really, really good cake)!

Please let me know soonest if you can help me with this.

Lorraine

Buy, Load, Play. The new Sympatico / MSN Music Store works seamlessly with Windows Media Player. Just Click PLAY.