When painting beneath lineart, I typically use the paintbrush tool set
to a 100% hard brush and size variation. In GIMP I found the
Paintbrush tool to be a bit inaccurate, which slowed down my process
of blocking in colour.

Due to this I tried blocking with the Ink tool and found it seemed not
only more accurate, but produced a smoother size change with the
tablet's pressure.

See comparison:

I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow merge the Ink and
the Paintbrush tools (I'm not a programmer) so that one could paint
with the varying size and/or opacity of the Paintbrush combined with
the accuracy and smoothness of the Ink tool.

In other words: Give the ink tool more pressure sensivity options and
call it the new paintbrush tool.

I have no idea how possible this would be, but it would be a great
improvement to the GIMP's painting abilities.