After a bit more exploration, I was able to find out the following:
1) I can grab images of any kind from the Internet just fine (usually
drag-n-drop via Konqueror).  It is only when I try and load from/save to my
hard drives that the Gimp crashes.
2) The Gimp crashes only after it completes the operation.  So, when saving, I
actually have the full file where I indicated I wanted it saved, and when
window itself won't draw before the crash).

I suspect that there is a particular module that is causing this behavior to
occur, but I don't know how to determine which it might be.  I've tried
temporarily switching to Krita for the time being, but though it has some
nice features, it definitely is not the Gimp and there are many operations
that I cannot do.

Hope someone can shed some light on this,