On my Slackware Linux 11 partition I get an error message on ./configure of
checking for PYGTK... no
configure: error:
*** Could not find PyGTK.
There is a workaround but that excludes python plugins.  But that could cause
problems in the future. I have downloaded and installed two different
versions of pygtk (however you capitalize it.) The older one doesn't help and
the newer one has a problem with a missing header or something.  It is the
old Russian doll trick--- you open up one doll and inside is another doll

On a fresh install of Debian stable (sarge) there is the old problem of the
missing perl XML module.  I can probably solve that. But I am having monitor
problems with Debian so I would rather stick with Slackware.

John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting
Satisfaction guaranteed.