If you are on a windows pc, all you should need to do is install the
font via the windows control panel.  To do this, go to Start --> Control
Panel --> Fonts

Drag/drop the font into this folder. You might have to restart gimp, but
in my case it works fine and also with my other utilities that use
custom fonts.  If I only knew how to do this in linux the easy way...