david wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 20:03 -0400, John R. Culleton wrote:
>> My digital camera will take pictures and store them in jpg mode but
>> also in RAW mode. RAW mode takes up more room. I hve a couple of
>> questions.
>>
>> 1. Will Gimp handle this RAW mode? If so what suffix should I use on
>> the file?

>> 2. Is there any advantage to using RAW mode instead of e.g., JPG at 5
>> megapixel resolution?
>
> If you are only taking happy snaps, probably not. If you are serious or
> intending to do intense cropping or manipulation, then definitely. raw
> gives you what the camera sees with no loss. More messing around though.

I learned this lesson on a project that I was working on.  About 700
pictures of an event all taken in RAW.  Weeks of processing.  Images are
great but the time was costly to me.

Also, when taking RAW photo's, you need much more memory.  This can be a
major surprise when on a project.  I was lucky to have purchased two new
2Gig cards just a week before the project.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.