Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 08:20 -0400, John R. Culleton wrote:
>
>> Gimp (and other programs) can use Adobe Illustrator output with one
>> small change.  Just rename the file from foo.ai to foo.pdf. It is
>> actually pdf 1.4 in format.
>>

> If these files are really PDF files, then GIMP should detect that and
> you wouldn't have to change the file extension. Do these files actually
> start with %PDF- ?
>

> Sven

The Gimp converts AI files to postscript, where you can set
both the resolution  and the amount of anti-aliasing. One .AI
file I have on my computer (I'm using Ubuntu Linux) starts
with '%!PS-Adobe-3.0' (Illustrator 8.0).

HTH,

Claus

--
Home Page        - http://home.arcor.de/ccyrny/            [in English]