Hi, Tina!

I used MacPorts, so I haven't got an app file. I don't know wich
files in my system I would need to send you. A friend of mine is
trying to compile GIMP 2.3 for Mac. I can ask him if that version
would run on your system.

Meanwhile, you could try MacPorts. It is not that complicated.
MacPorts is a free software that interacts with XCode (the Apple
software development tools, that come in the MacOS X DVD, with every
Mac), downloading from the Internet every little pack that is needed
to compile an application and then building it and installing it.
After installing XCode and MacPorts, you should follow these steps:

1. Open Terminal (it's in Applications > Utilities folder)

2. Run the following command (type the password when asked to):
  sudo /opt/local/bin/port install gimp-dev

[MacPorts will now connect to the Internet to get the packages and
will use XCode to build and install them in your system]

3. If everything goes alright, with no errors, you'll be able to run
GIMP 2.3 by executing X11 typing /opt/local/bin/gimp-2.3 in the xterm
window. Xterm is a Terminal-like app that runs inside X11. So, you
need to run X11, before using it.

I hope this will help.

Victor Domingos
http://lojamac.com/blog