On Tuesday 12 June 2007 10:34, Kraemer,Steven [Edm] wrote:
> Hello,
> I am looking for annotation software (that will run on Red Hat 9)
> to be used in a classroom setting. Is anyone is using GIMP for this
> purpose? Is it possible to run GIMP as a transparent overlay for
> the purpose of annotating content displayed in underlying windows?
> Any help on this would be much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Steven Kraemer

Can you flesh out the requirement a bit? Is this for screen display,
slides or paper copies? Most publishing programs will allow one pdf
or whatever as the background for a page and another overlaying it
with text.  Context (part of TeX) does this for example. And I am
also sure I can do it in Scribus.  You can of course do it in Gimp
but each combined page would be a separate entity. And text would be
converted to bitmaps.

As the Vermont farmer said, "If I was goin' to Montpelier I sure
wouldn't start from here."  I would look at other tools for this
particular job.
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting
Satisfaction guaranteed.