Don Selkirk writes:
> I am using GIMP 2.2.15 in Windows XP. My clone tool has stopped
> responding as I expect.
[ ... ]
> Now when I hold the left mouse button to start cloning the cross hairs
> appear under my mouse pointer instead of the area I selected for
> cloning. The image does not change.

You may have changed the clone tool's Alignment option (in tool
options) to Registered. Change it back to Non-aligned and see if
your problem goes away.

(Registered is useful when cloning from a different image or layer,
but if you're cloning from the same layer, it will seem to do
nothing, just as you describe.)

    "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional":