This may tie into your other problem with the tool options.  Check the FAQ at
Gimptalk as
well as the Gimp documentation on "docking".

As for the rotation and scale tools, in the options dialog which comes up when
you select
those icons, there are three buttons at the top of that dialog.  The first one
is for the
currently selected layer, the second is for the current selection, and the
third is for
the current path.  For what you want, the first of these three buttons should
be clicked,
but you may have somehow or other clicked one of the other two.