Quoting Patrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> However it does not look like anyone has larger GIFs, about 300px
> square, on their websites, no doubt due to the files sizes. I wanted to
> also encode a video and post it on the web. I cannot get anything
> encoded. I have a bunch of .xcf frames with serial numbers. I tried
> converting them to .png and .tiff but nothing helps. I also downloaded
> and set up mpeg2encode. It works from the command line but not from GIMP.
> I am running Ubuntu on a 64 bit machine. If anyone can tell me how to
> get from the .xcf frames to encode any video format that would be terrific.

If you are having problems with the built-in encoding that the GAP
provides, I would recommend using "Video->Frames convert..." to save
your animation as a sequence of PNGs and then (externally) use
Mencoder to convert those PNGs to video.

mencoder "mf://*.png" -mf fps=15 -o output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts

Changing the FPS and output format as needed.

For publishing on the web, you should consider using the Theora format
and either Itheora
(http://menguy.aymeric.free.fr/theora/index.php?l=en) or Metavid
(http://metavid.ucsc.edu/) players. Itheora is more flexible but
Metavid should be compatible with the HTML5 draft standard for online

To produce OGG Theora video, you will need to use 'ffmpeg2theora' to
convert your 'mencoder' output. I have some examples of the Itheora
videos on http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/Website/films.html