On Tuesday 09 October 2007 20:49:24 carol irvin wrote:
> in both photoshop and GIMP you do not need to do these functions as a layer
> adjustment
> (i.e. work on layers).  You can use the Image menu in photoshop and make
> these adjustments
> without layers or in Gimp you can go to the Tools menu and do an adjustment
> under colors.
> as long as you are saving your various versions, there is no danger of
> being stuck with a
> change you don't like.  You CAN do these as a layers adjustment but that
> presupposes
> that the user is already good at using layers and also wants to take the
> extra time to flatten and such.
>
> As for the actual use of the tools, each has
> its own dialog box with sliders and you manually slide the controls till
> you have something
> which pleases you.  I am NOT a purist where I insist on doing everything in
> layers.  I usually
> go to layers when I am blending various versions of images.  There are some
> who would regard
> me as a heretic for saying this though as they don't believe you should do
> anything without using
> layers.
>
> I think any of these manuals we have been discussing show illustrations of
> all of the above.
> Grooking the GIMP, as previously given as a link to the group, for sure
> shows all of the above
> and that manual is entirely online and free.
>
> carol
>
> On 10/9/07, Patrick Shanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I really cannot see any reason not to use layers - Flattening is such an easy
but the benefits that come from using layers are so great that I would not
see that as an obstacle. To not use layers seems IMHO rather like driving a
car on a freeway whilst sticking to 30mph and choosing a low gear ratio. IF
one is going to use sophisticated programs such as Gimp and photoshop then
the additional effort of learning to use layers is trivial.

As far as sharpening is concerned I agree with Carol.  I have only ever found
sharpening to have a role  for low resolution images and then very rarely. It
is a tool that is best forgotten in favor of developing higher basic skills.

 I would never sharpen (unless it is to achieve a specific artistic effect) on
high resolution images but for these I always use raw at 16bit.

Sharpening does not make a photographic image that was taken without being
properly focused any sharper.. in fact when you carefully examine high
resolution  prints that have been so-called "sharpened" one can see the
traces of the sharpening process and these only serve to make the image
appear a little "odd". If the image is not sharp to start with there is no
digital process available that is going to replace poor technique at the
capturing stage.

My recomendation to students is if you think your photographic image needs
sharpening then go back to basics.Use that image as

a spur to re-examining your capturing technique.  Examine your camera
handling methods. See whether anappropriate shtter/aperture had been used and
whether the ability to hand hold a camera steady has been over-estimmated or
whether a hand held shot has been attempted that needed a tripod. Using a
hand held camera in inapproprate conditions is a recipe for disaster. Could
you have changed the ISO?

My two pennorth