On 10/24/07, Jarlath Reidy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a friend who uses images sent to him by clients to make
> engravings on various materials. This is a start up business and he is
> having some teething problems.
>
> He has an issue where the boundary between the foreground and the
> background isn't clear cut and the engraving looks smudged around the
> edges.
>
> I've attached a piece of the image which the client sent in jpg format.
> Unfortunately, the typical client is not very computer savvy and asking
> for .tiffs isn't possible.

Not sure if I understand the question, but I removed the artifacts in
the image in this manner:

1. Convert image to grayscale
2. Adjust Levels - moving the rightmost slider inwards will "clip" the
light-colored artifacts in the background.  Moving the middle slider
to the right will "squash" the dark-colored artifacts in the
foreground.
3. Save as PNG (as JPEG will only re-introduce atrifacts

Optionally
4. Open inkscape and import the new PNG
5. Trace the bitmap and save as SVG

(steps 4-5 can be accomplished in GIMP by selecting the foreground
areas, creating a path from the selection and importing it).

Now he should have a definite foreground/backgound in the PNG and
possibly a SVG that can be scaled up or down without distortion or
added artifacts.  I would guess that in whatever process he's using
for engraving, vector artwork would be preferable (at least that's
what 99% of our vendors want).

This method won't always work - esp. if the JPEG compression is very
high, or the image resolution very low.  Sometimes you have to bite
the bullet and pull out the pen tool :)

Let me know if this helps, or if I missed the point completely...

Chris