this is probably going to sound like a really weird solution to a problem
but it has worked for me over the years.  i often wander off the beaten path
though so that tendency may work for someone else too.  if i have an image
that isn't working in the computer, i make the best possible print i can of
it.  then i may go into that print with other (live) media and punch it up
that way.  then i scan the print into the computer and make a new image from
the scan in a file format i like and with a resolution that is better than
what i had.  then i use the image program to adjust the image until it takes
shape as something i want to keep.  usually there is a good chunk of the
original image which still remains so all has not been lost.

i am simply not used to using the native format of the GIMP program.  for
awhile i used to use the native format for photoshop, which was psd.  then i
discovered that a whole bunch of other programs i had would not show a
thumbnail of a psd.  yet they would all show it of a tif.  (this was while i
was using windows as my OS)  so i started using tif and was happy with using
it.  there is some relief in knowing that every single program you have on
your computer will be able to show the image in the tif format.  this is
also true of the jpg, the png and the gif.