On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 20:35 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

> > On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 18:50 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> >> I had gimp and iscan working just fine on fedora 6 and gimp 2.2.  I have
> >> a new installation of fedora 8.  I've got gimp 2.4 and iscan 2.6
> >> installed via rpm.  When I open gimp and select Xtns->Aquire image, I
> >> see 'Scanning (iscan)' but it's grayed out.  If I remove the iscan rpm
> >> the Aquire option is no longer there, so I know that iscan rpm is trying
> >> to register the plugin.
> >
> > Does the menu become sensitive if you have an image opened? Could be a
> > problem with the iscan plug-in registering for certain image types when
> > it should use an empty string.
> Sure enough.  I opened gimp, opened a file and when I go to scan, the
> option is available.  Bug?  Or, is this something I can fix on my end?

It's a bug in the iscan plug-in then. But a bug that can easily be fixed
in the plug-in source code. Just look for the gimp_install_procedure()
call and check the 8th argument. I suspect the plug-in is passing the
string "*" here. It should pass the empty string to tell GIMP that it
doesn't need an image to work. Please tell the author of the iscan
plug-in about this so that he/she can fix the plug-in.