I think I have only had to do something like this once.  But yes GAP does have
a nice
add-on that puts in an menu entry for "filter all layers".

There are other things that GAP comes in handy for.  You can use it to make
image pipe
brushes that would otherwise be a lot of work to do in regular Gimp.

I don't like to have Gimp without it, and I imagine there are a lot of Gimpers
who think
likewise.