Toby Haynes wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I'm trying to reduce noise using multiple photos of the very same subject,
using both a tripod or simply repeating a scan a number of times ( i have a
flatbed scanner with a lot of noise especially in dark areas... )

So far i have tried with my old broken camera that had powerful noise at 400
iso  and first results are not bad at all.

Samples:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6967/prova1wc2.jpg
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/448/prova2xh7.jpg
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/7589/prova3on7.jpg
( heavy purple fringing is probably due to the fact that i choosed 5/7 of the
max resolution, 5 mp instead of 7 )
You might consider the Anti-Lameness Engine, which is expressly designed for exactly this sort of task (including re-aligning the images and suppressing noise).

http://auricle.dyndns.org/ALE/

Hugin (http://hugin.sf.net/) is useful if you need to exactly align a number of images prior to any stacking. It can also be used to remove chromatic aberation with a little care (although it's fiddly and time consuming).
Hi

I normally take photos in raw, which seems to eliminate a lot of the color noise on long exposures. My camera is usually okay within 5-10sec exposures, but this time I took shots in Jpeg, which then to generate more noise when there is a lot of low-level light on a long exposure.
It looks like lint or squiggly lines all throughout the image.

I tried using despeckle, which does a fine job, however, it tends to kill the sharpness and distorts anything that was smooth, especially circles and droplet edges. I tried Selective Gaussian, that seems to help with some of the color blockiness. Is there another method I can use to help eliminate those squiggly artifacts?
Would using multiple images help eliminate the noise?

Thanks
Rich