Well, there are shapes, sort of,  Filters>Render>Gfig. There are also Paths,
which will
do a lot of what you want.  You can also create Paths in Inkscape and then
import them
into Gimp (which I find handy, since Inkscape has more features for dealing
with paths
than Gimp does).  Converting paths to selections would do things like putting a
picture
in a shape.  You can also merge them, sort of, by converting to a selection,
merging,
then converting back to a path.  I don't think it is quite as accurate as
something like
Inkscape for boolean stuff, but it works.  You can also edit the nodes on the
paths.

Further, you can, if you know enough about what you are doing, write
script-fu's that
could create various path shapes if you want.  I know of at least one script fu
that will
do a path in the shape of a circle.  Surely if that is possible, then any other
shapes
would be, as well.

Spell check?  Seems a bit overdone.  If you are doing that much text in Gimp
that you
need to do spell checking...seems like another sort of app would be more
appropriate,
such as Scribus or, as you mention, Open Office.

I can see where you are coming from on your last thing, with the docking.
However,
remember that Gimp is originally a Linux application, and the Linux desktop has
various
options which would make things a bit easier to do the back and forth thing,
such as
virtual desktops and window shading.

Still, of all the features you mention, I think that one might have some merit.
 It coule
be implemented as a tabbed feature in one of the dialogs.  Wonder if one could
write a
plugin to do this sort of thing? (I am not a programmer, so I have no idea if
such a
thing would be possible, but it is an interesting possibility).