On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:02:13 -0700
Bob Meetin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> if this question has been asked before please point me to the answer.
>
> whenever i open a vanilla image in gimp then resize to a smaller
> dimension it becomes fuzzy, soft focus.  to get the sharpness back i
> select filters - sharpen - then about 50 sharpness and all is well
> again.  is this a setting issue or common behavior?
>
> go down this path - after i have done this operation sometimes i have to
> resize the same image to a new dimension. same problem same solution.
> second question, jpgs are lossy.  if i do this then save the jpg a
> second time at new dimension does this cause the same repetitive save,
> loss of quality problem as opening and resaving an image?
>
> i.e. qulity-wise am i better off going back to the vanilla image and
> saving once for each image size as opposed to repetitive saves during
> one open image session?

As a matter of work flow, you would be better off to initially save your image
in the Gimp's native format, xcf, do all your work on the xcf file, then when
finished, save back to jpg, png whatever.

Eventually, successive saves in jpg will cause a degradation of quality, that's
why it is best to work in xcf

Owen